Friday, February 4, 2011

Horizon 2035

I volunteered on a fifteen person committee that worked with city staff and consultants to analyze, review, and revise Sunnyvale's Land Use and Transportation Element of the General Plan.  A fellow member dubbed us the "Big Binder Committee" for obvious reasons.  The process entailed  education pieces on current conditions and proposed changes within the city.  I also worked on a sub-committee to refine the city's first Climate Action Plan.  The scope of our work extends to 2035, but some measures are intended for 2050.


I'm not surprised if a one paragraph blurb doesn't adequately explain what my role on the committee is.  I believe my official title is "Staff Advisory Committee Member."  It was an eighteen month process, so the work was pretty substantial.  Each meeting was a wealth of new information that, quite honestly, took me a while to process.  Urban Planning is a different beast than engineering.

I genuinely enjoyed the time I spent with the committee.  The differences in opinion exposed me to more food for thought than I anticipated, but that was part of the fun.

More information can be found on the Horizon 2035 Website.